Culture & Attractions in Valle Isarco and Val Pusteria
Panoramic platform with magnificent views
Our alpine region offers a number of viewing points displaying awe-inspiring panoramic vistas. The Astjoch, Steinermandl and the Gitschberg are highly recommended, with views of over 500 mountain peaks. A platform with a description of the individual peaks can also be found on the Rodenecker / Lüsner Alm.
The panoramic vistas reach from the peaks of the Dolomites to the peaks of the Zillertal, Stubai and Ötztal Alps - views that most definitely give pause for thought.
Rodenegg Castle (10 km)
The eventful history of this impregnable fortress built on the rock spire over the Rienz gorge makes visiting Rodenegg Castle an adventure for the whole family. Constructed as a fortress in the first half of the 12th century, the Counts of Wolkenstein gave the castle its present aspect in the 16th century. Knightly tales and the atmosphere surrounding the old masonry are sure to spark the imagination of young adventurers.
Neustift Abbey (10 km)
Neustift is one of the most significant monasteries in Tyrol. You can visit the originally Roman (now Baroque) collegiate church with its famous frescoes on the ceiling, the medieval cloister with frescoes from the 14th and 15th centuries, the rococo library with its valuable collection of manuscripts as well as the Pinacotheca with a notable collection of Gothic panel paintings.
Mühlbach Hermitage (7 km)
The earliest record of this valley road block dates back to 1269 in a document by Count Friedrich von Rodank. A toll was raised at the Hermitage from 1288. As a valley block, the hermitage also acted as a military stronghold, besieged in vain by Michael Gaißmair in 1526. Heavy fighting also took place here on 8 November 1809, between the Tyrolean "Landstürmer" (country soldiers) and the French General Rusca's forces.
Visits possible during the summer months.
Franzensfeste (12 km)
The Franzensfeste fortress was planned and built according to the latest standards in fortress architecture in the years 1833–1838 and is one of the most robust fortresses in the alpine region. The complex consists of a gigantic labyrinth of rooms, passageways and stairways on a plot of over 20 hectares.
The fortress can be visited as part of a guided tour.